Monday, August 23, 2010

Big day tomorrow

At 10:30 am tomorrow, I officially begin my first day of the new school year.  Of course, I'll be on campus at least a half an hour before that, if not a full hour.  It's not like I'm going to get any sleep tonight anyway (though we did finally get that new bed we've been needing - yay!).  First day jitters are a curse I've suffered for a long time.  But I've bought some cool new t-shirts (one featuring zombies and the other featuring 80s nostalgia kitsch), so at least I know I'll look the way I want.  And I've got all my books and a new notebook and a whole box of new pens.  Plus I've got a new backpack on order that should arrive by next weekend (shipping slightly delayed).  So I'm really all set.

But there's one last thing that's going to happen first.  See, on the first day of the semester all the philosophy graduate students get together for a meeting with the chair and the grad director.  They go over some stuff (I don't know what, exactly, I'm not in the meeting), then the pre-existing grad students all go off for some drinks while the new crop starts the pro-seminar.  I don't get to go to the meeting, but I do get to hang around the office and go for the drinks afterwards.

Now, I'm not going to drink too much because I'm not 23 anymore and I can't handle that like I used to and I have to get up early.  But I'm going to have enough to lubricate a bit.  Which means I stand a good chance of acting like a complete twit in front of my ethics teacher for the semester and one or more TAs who will be working my classes.  I've been told that I'm quite amusing drunk (I can't tell, because...drunk).  So maybe it won't be so bad.  And like I said, I'm going to moderate the alcohol intake.  Still, I'm hoping it will provide a nice loosening for my attitude so my first day isn't quite so tense.  Besides, it's not like my ethics teacher has never seen me drunk before.  Partying with philosophy grad students is so much fun.

1 comment:

  1. It's because we have a theory of partying.

    Drink. Have fun. It'll be okay. I'll be watching out for you.

    ReplyDelete