Tuesday, August 24, 2010

First Day Fun

So I made it through the first day.  I got home earlier tonight than I usually will on Tuesdays because my Global Horror professor cut the class portion short and got straight to showing the film (Nosferatu, directed by F. W. Murnau, 1922).  It's not too long, so off we went.

All in all, I'm very pleased with how this semester looks like it's going to go.  Don't get me wrong.  I'm going to be working my happy little butt off.  I'm going to have a ton of reading and a ton of writing.  Two papers for the major philosophy classes (one short and one long each), and the papers for the film class (again one short and one long) are actually even longer than the philosophy papers.  So it's not like I'm expecting to be able to coast along here.  I'm going to have to make very good use of all the free days I've carved out of my week in order to keep up with all of this.  Time for Kimmy's organizational OCD to kick in, and thank goodness for it.

But the courses look like they're going to be a lot of fun.  Ancient Philosophy isn't really my area, but I get that it's the bedrock of the discipline, and besides my professor seems like he's going to be fantastic.  Phil Lit is just flat going to be great, I think.  The focus is on death, dying, death anxiety and such things.  The ethics course looks like it's going to cover everything I need for a basic understanding in a really interesting way.  And the film course is going to be an absolute bonanza of stuff I've always wanted to see and some really cool-sounding things I've never heard of (Bollywood musical horror, anyone?).  Especially considering that I think I may be looking at working in philosophy of film (focus on horror), the combination of the Phil Lit course and the Global Horror course is going to be absolute dynamite.

After all those long slogs through dreadful gen-ed courses taught by indifferent grad students, this semester looks like it's going to be intellectual heaven.  Yippee!!

No comments:

Post a Comment